Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is extra money to help you with everyday life if you have an illness, disability or mental health condition if you are aged 16 to 64.

You can get it on top of Employment and Support Allowance or other benefits, including your WIBSS payments. Your income, savings, and whether you’re working or not do not affect your eligibility. You do not need to have paid National Insurance to qualify for PIP.

To get PIP you must:

  • need help with everyday tasks, caring for yourself or getting around
  • have needed this help for 3 months and expect it to need it for another 9 months

There are exceptions to these, known as special rules if you are terminally ill. Please contact your WIBSS welfare rights adviser urgently if you think you may qualify under the exceptions.

Importantly, PIP is not based on the condition you have or the medication you take. It is based on the level of help you need because of how your condition affects you. You’re assessed by a health professional on the level of help you need with specific activities and your mobility.

There are two components to Personal Independence Payment, you may get one or both parts;

  • A daily living component, which includes help with preparing food, bathing and dressing. You will receive either £55.65 or £83.10 per week.
  • A mobility component, if you need help getting around. You will receive either £22.80 or £58.00 per week.

To make a claim call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 917 2222. You will not have to answer any detailed questions about your health when you call, though it is important to have the following information with you call to apply:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your bank or building society account details that payments can be made into
  • a daytime contact number
  • your GP or other health professional’s details
  • details of any time you have spent abroad in the last three years
  • details of any recent time you have spent in a care home or hospital.

PIP applications can often be lengthy and complicated and must be completed within one month so if you require any assistance or guidance, contact your WIBSS welfare rights adviser as soon as possible.

Alternatively, the Haemophilia Society UK has produced an informative guide for those with a bleeding disorder to claim PIP independently, alongside a factsheet for health professionals, which can be accessed here.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) was for people aged under 65 who had problems walking, moving around outdoors safely, or looking after themselves.

If you are making a new claim and are aged between 16 and 64, you now need to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead.

If you are still claiming DLA, you will eventually be asked to transfer to PIP. If you were aged 65 or over on 8 April 2013 and are still receiving DLA, you will not be asked to transfer to PIP.